20070814

Depth through the draft, and Galactic Receptions

Well, folks, we didn’t really stick it to the Steelmen like I thought we would, but you have to be opti-mistic about the results either way.
I don’t like to make too much or too little of a pre-season contest, but I will say this: The club is looking strong all the way down the depth chart at almost every position. This is just another benefit of Mr. Thompson’s – and Mr. Wolf’s before him – philosophy of “Building through the Draft.”
The young talent on the roster is undeniable – also a product of Mr. Thompson’s system. Although the first-stringers looked about as hot as a cucmber and ice-cream noo-dle salad, the second, third and practice squaders all seemed to match up well with their Pittsburg-er-ish counter-parts. Another way to say this is that there is little drop-off from the starters to the bench. Or at least less than in the recent past, I guess. It’s still early.
You could also think of it in terms of sandwiches. I often think about things in terms of sandwiches, as I understand them fairly well.
Say Nick Collins is a Double Cheeseburger with all the fixins. Atari Bigby and Marviel Underwood aren’t in that class at the Safety Position, but they’re still double cheeseburgers, minus the fried onions and the bacon. The alternative would be your Ahmad Carrolls of the secondary. Carroll is no beefy double. If Ahmed Carroll were a sandwich flavor, he’d be Pralines and Sand on Ragg-ed Cardboard chunks.
You get the idea. I hope.
Don’t know if any of you got a chance to head out to watch the meteor shower on Sunday Night. That was a nice end to the week-end, although I think I’m still paying for staying up that late past my bed-time. Meteors are not really ‘shooting stars’ as some folks call them. Even still, as I stretched out on the blanket in the front yard I imagined that each speck of strange space dust hitting our atmosphere was being thrown at our planet by a Giant Galactic Favre who was standing at the center of the Milky Way. Can you imagine? The center!
Galactic Favre is made of pure light energy and his spiral travels the universe at 43 miles per second. Yikes, that sure is speedy. A feller could jam a finger catching something that fast and energetic.
Anyways, I had a good time out there beneath a new moon, holding hands with the wife and thinking about those types of things. Sometimes is nice to let your mind run wild like that, especially during the pre-season. For instance: I’m sure I wasn’t the only one picturing Donald Driver catching those plasma-emitting particles as they streaked towards the corn-fields.
Galacti-Packers!
Anyhoo, the Sea-Hawks are coming to town for the first home game of the season, and I expect that the stadium will be even more excited than during the family fun night. I’ll be watching young Atari Bigby in the secondary, as reports from the team suggest he might have a shot at replacing big-play apologist Marquan Manuel at SS.
We’ll probably have this one in the books by half-time, with a final score around 24-0. Still, I have a soft spot in my heart for Mr. Holmgren, and I have to admit it will be nice to have him back on the side-lines in old Green Bay.
Until next week, then.