20060914

At least it can’t get any worse, Can it?

Sweet sugar beets! Let’s hope that’s as bad as it’s going to get this year, because I don’t think I can take another week of that fourth-rate lousyness. Then again, I have no reason at this moment to expect any better.
I’ll be the first to admit my cheerful prediction was WAY off. WAY, WAY off.
The Packers looked like the junior varsity team with a rotten case of pneumonia coupled with boots made of lead and the IQ of a large-mouthed bass. If this is any indication of the future, I have grave concerns about the McCarthy administration. Then again, it is early in his career and the season, and over-reaction isn’t going to help. I know from personal experience. That is why I gave up my membership in the Over-Reaction Society years ago.
So let’s think sensibly for a moment. True, we got outplayed by those swift-footed Bears. Double true, they greased our wheels with a heavy dose of the slippery hickory oil. And triple true, the many mistakes on our end certainly amplified that glaring schellacking. But gee-whiz, we should have been beaten by a lot more that 26. I’m actually surprised the Bears didn’t demand our complete surrender and explusion from the NFC North at half-time.
Worst of all, the situation was made even more depressing by the presence of some thirty-odd members of the glorious Super Bowl Championship team of ‘96. How far we’ve tumbled, eh?
Sigh.
Anyways, you folks know me well enough to know that I’m not one for blue-funk ruminations. As my daughter says from time to time: “You gotta stay cool, pops.”
I guess.
Like Mr. Rodger’s gang-buster moustache a few weeks back, Mr. Green provided a performance worthy of mention amidst an overall gaggerdly effort. His, however, was offensively-based, rather than whiskery. Still, it wasn’t so much the yards accumulated that impressed this cheese-blooded columnist, but the bang-tailed explosiveness displayed that got me in a dither. Even behind an offensive line that ... well, rottissimoed ... Mr. Green looked like his old self, like the Ahman of 2003. Even before the injury last season, he never looked like he had the motor purring top plum. But against the vaunted Bears defense, the Bears defense that is amongst the strongest and fastest in the league, number 30 bested them all. If only he had some help.
Double sigh.
Next up, we get a team we should handle, even with the addition of Reggie Bush. I’ve got to admit, I’m excited to see this youngster play on the next level, but at the same time, I hope our defense gets themselves back in the right. Maybe even rough him up a touch nasty.
Chief of my concerns against the Saints will be our own offense (although our handsomely-paid secondary is close behind). Sure, the Saints defense ain’t no Bears, but for crying out loud. Is it too much to ask to get a first down?
Let’s hope for more balls going to our crafty tight ends, and another swell performance from Mr. Green, and most importantly, some points. I say we get plenty. Saints - 13, Packers - 27.Until next week, then.